Plan Number: 221-109-08
CIP Code: 51.0910
The purpose of the Pre-Diagnostic Medical Sonography: Echocardiography Career Studies Certificate (CSC) is to prepare students for competitive admission to the Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Specialization in Echocardiography (DMS-Echo)** with all or a majority of general education courses completed. All courses in the first semester of this CSC earn curricular credits needed for ranking of applicants.
**The Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Specialization in Echocardiography is pending approval from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and the State Council of Higher Education. The program is anticipated to be offered beginning Fall 2023.
• High School graduate or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) completion with verification on file in Admissions and Records (A&R)
• Completion of all RCC admission requirements.
• Competency in science knowledge as evidenced by completion of high school (HS) biology (BIO) and chemistry (CHM) or the college equivalents; OR, students who have successfully completed BIO 141 and BIO 142 or its equivalents with a grade of “C” or higher will satisfy this requirement.
• Competency in mathematics as evidenced by eligibility to enroll in MTH 154 .
• Competency in English as evidenced by eligibility for ENG 111 in the first semester of the program.
• Successful completion of the first six courses in the CSC, and entrance tests with scores at minimum or higher, allows the student eligibility to apply to the DMS-Echo program.
• Admission to the pre-DMS CSC does not guarantee admission into the DMS- Echo.
Students who intend to apply to the DMS-Echo program under general admission criteria must complete the first semester of the Pre- DMS CSC with a curricular GPA of 2.5. Grades less than a “C” in any curricular course will not be accepted for progression to the DSM - Echo program.